Date: Tuesday, January 5, 2010
Time: 6:00pm – 7:00pm
Happy New Year and welcome back to UCLA!!!
For some, we pack with a heavy heart tinged with melancholy as we depart our homes.
For others, we say goodbye to friends and family, but know UCLA is our 2nd home and is just as hospitable and wonderful.
And some just want to get the heck out and begin a fresh new quarter in the City of Angels… a winterfresh start, leaving the baggage behind and begin anew. That’s why we have New Year’s Resolutions.
And at IDEAL, we resolve to make our meetings, socials and events greater than ever. To start off the quarter, our first General Meeting will feature a White Elephant gift exchange (it is a fun game). If you wish to participate, please bring a gift no more than $10. Rather detailed instructions are at the bottom of the event but I will find a way to make it simple and less complicated. You don’t have to wrap the gift all fancy, you can do something ghetto, just don’t make it too obvious what it is. You can leave it in the plastic bag and buffer it with notebook paper. I leave it up to you!
This week’s meeting will be very important as we will divide into committees and talk about our upcoming HUGE First Annual Bruin Speech Contest and figure out how we can work together to throw the best event UCLA has ever had, with the best raffle prize ever (2) FREE TEN DAY TRIPS TO THAILAND WITH HOTEL AND AIRFARE FEES COVERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holy %*&^. That is an amazing prize. If I invited you to the facebook event, please forward the event to your UCLA facebook friends and invite them. We really want and need this event to be huge.
So this event description is getting way too long but just know that I miss you and would like to see you at our general meeting. I hope you all had a great Winter Break! Can’t wait to see you!
P.S. NOTE THE NEW DAY AND MEETING TIME! Tuesday at 6pm. I will tell you the room on Monday when we know for sure. Tuesday at 6pm is when all the cool kids are having meetings, and I’d have to say everyone in this club is pretty damn cool. I do not have class right before meetings anymore so feel free to call me if you wanna walk down from the dorms with me and whoever else. (562) 685-4602
White Elephant Gift Exchange:
1. Each guest who wishes to participate must contribute a gift ($10 limit). Everyone sits or stands in roughly a circle around the pile of gifts.
2. Prepare slips of paper equal to the number of gifts with clearly written numbers.Each participating guest draws a number and holds onto that slip of paper.
3. On the first turn, the guest with paper slip #1 chooses a gift, opens it, and all admire it.
4. On the second turn, the guest with paper slip #2 gets the choice of “stealing” any unwrapped gift (#1’s) or choosing a wrapped one. If #2 steals #1’s gift, then #1 must open a wrapped gift.
5. On the third turn, the guest with paper slip #3 gets the choice of “stealing” any unwrapped gift (#1’s or #2’s) or choosing a wrapped one.
The game continues based on the following:
1. If a gift is stolen from you, you can steal a gift (within limits, described below), or open a wrapped one.
2. The turn proceeds until a wrapped gift is chosen.
3. A gift cannot be immediately stolen back from the guest who just stole it.
4. The fourth “owner” of a gift gets to keep it. The gift is “dead” after it has been stolen three times.
5. “Owners” of “live” gifts must keep them visible and hold them up when requested.
6. The gift exchange ends when the last wrapped gift is opened. Usually, guests are encouraged to perpetuate the gift stealing as long as there are “live” gifts, but no one is obligated to do this.
Facebook Event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=231678307458